Competitor analysis in SEO is a main important steps to be followed. To get ranked in Search Engines we need to analyse other competitor which Optimize for same Keyword.
Steps to Competitor Analysis in SEO
1. Find their Keywords
See for which and what keywords your competitors are targeting. The easiest way to find target keywords is to use SEMRush and Ahrefs.
To find the competitors keywords with SEMRush:
- Enter competitors URL into the search bar.
- Under the organic search section, click on “Positions”.
- See for which all keywords your competitor is ranking for.
2. Analyse the site optimization of the competitors
By doing site optimization, you can gather valuable information form their on-site strategy.
i. Keyword density
- The first thing to look at on page is the keyword density. It gives direction on how you need to focus on the keyword placement.
- Enter competitors URL here. To check the keyword density.
- Check the Keyword density for the target Keyword and repeat the process. After this, you will get the average keyword density.
Examine the meta information. Look at how they have written their META data. Are they using LSI keywords?
iii. Internal Linking
Check for the competitor’s site architecture to understand the authority of the website. Here is a list of internal linking tactics.
You acquire internal link when you link one page on your website to another on the same domain.
Content rich website or page rank better for a targeting keyword. Analyse different elements of the competitors content. Use the tool: https://www.internetmarketingninjas.com/seo-tools/keyword-density/ to see the word length of the competitor’s pages. After analyzing make sure to create something larger than this. Include images, videos and outbound links in the content.
Also Read : Quality content significance in SEO
4.Analyze their design
Keep up a good design for the website.
5.Analyse their Google My Business Page
Analyze Google My Business page of a competitor. Google My Business page applies to local businesses.
- Check if their page is updated?
- Do their posts have engagement?
- Do they have images, reviews, followers etc?
Checking Out The Social Media And Offline Strategies
6.Analyse Social media
Social media is bigger than SEO. Thus it helps to build relationships, to interact with customers, helps to market the content.
Use this tool, to see if they have an engaged audience.
Use this tool, to see the social shares for an individual page.
Video Marketing: Keep in mind that YouTube is the second biggest search engine in the world. Check if your competitors are using this platform or not.
7.Analyze Offline Strategies
One of the important reasons to analyze competitors offline marketing efforts: Branded Searches. Branded searches produce high CTRs and this accounts to ranking factor in Google. Branded searches show Google that users learn about the brand. Offline advertising efforts like TV/Movie, billboard ads gives more information about the brand.
8.Analyze the Backlinks
Backlinks provide a great power to the website. Actually, there are two reasons why we need to analyze the competitor’s link profile.
- Find link opportunities.
- To check whether we need to mirror their links.
To analyze backlinks use the tools mentioned below:
Ahrefs, majestic, open site explorer, open link profiler, web me up
Link Types to be adopted
- Membership links
- Sponsorship links
- Resource list links
- Niche directory links
- Geo-targeted directory links
- Niche Relevant contextual links.
Keep this in mind while analyzing a competitor’s link profile.
- Check on their homepage to deep linking ratio.
In the Ahref’s, select the option Top pages and there you can find it. Deep link builds site authority. And more site authority helps in easier rankings. If your competitor’s backlinks go to deep pages then you also adopt the same strategy.
- Check for the nofollow to the dofollow ratio: Don’t try to build 100% dofollow backlinks.
- Check the anchor text distribution.
- Look whether they use redirects:301 redirects work well as a link building tool.